Saturday, April 16, 2011

What Matters Most is what Lasts the Longest




"Near the end of his life, one father looked back on how he had spent his time on earth. An acclaimed, respected author of numerous scholarly works, he said, 'I wish I had written one less book and taken my children fishing more often.' "Time passes quickly. Many parents say that it seems like yesterday that their children were born. Now those children are grown, perhaps with children of their own. 'Where did the years go?' they ask. We cannot call back time that is past, we cannot stop time that now is, and we cannot experience the future in our present state. Time is a gift, a treasure not to be put aside for the future but to be used wisely in the present."


-Thomas S. Monson


I had the opportunity today of going babysitting for a wonderful family from my home ward. I wasn't there for very long, but their home, and their family, left an impression on me. It was evident that they were striving their best to live the gospel and the be the best that they could be. They wanted to give their children the best future they could. They wanted to instill in them gospel principles in order for them to develop faith and a testimony to sustain them through the trying times that they will face in this world. It is so sad to see what children are already faced with at this age. My mom works in the nursery and she says kids are already catty, and acting like teenagers. The adversary is so cunning and the children of the rising generation are called to stand up to him, and to stand for what they know is right. These children have so much strength, but it is up to us to teach them that strength and perserverance.


I want to thank all those families out there that are striving to do their best, and to raise their children in the ways that they should go. I am greatful for examples like this family I tended for. Not a voice was raised while I was at their house, even when the kids misbehaved, it was just tender teaching. The kids respected me and behaved very well, and the moment the parents got home, they went outside to play and spend time with their children instead of getting wrapped up in things that don't matter, or last.


I hope one day to be able to strive to raise my family in such a way as this. I have a testimony of families and their divine purpose. I love my family so much. They are so good for me. Each one of us sent down to lift, and bless eachother, in order to be perfected and return unto him. We are on this journey with our families, I hope my family will be able to realize this eternal joy one day. And for those family members who are not quite headed in the right direction? I love them so dearly, I pray for them daily, I hope one day they realize how much I love them, and how much their Heavenly Father loves them, and because of this realization they will come to understand "If you love me, keep my commandments." (John 14:15) The battle between good and evil is waging. And families are our greatest weapons. I know this to be true.



"And they were all young men, and they were exceedingly valiant for acourage, and also for strength and activity; but behold, this was not all—they were men who were true at all times in whatsoever thing they were entrusted."- Alma 53:20


"...We do not doubt our mothers knew it." -Alma 57: 48

1 comment:

Trently said...

Beautiful, Chandis. Thank you :)